I love living in Sydney. I love the atmosphere, the scenery and most of all I love the events. Once of my fave Sydney events is Vivid Sydney, and I’m excited to confirm that it’s only a week away!
Next Friday night the lighting of thesails of Sydney Opera House will herald the opening of Vivid Sydney, the annual festival of light, music and ideas, bringing the city alive with creativity in precincts from Walsh Bay, through The Rocks to Circular Quay and Sydney Opera House.
Vivid Sydney, developed and managed by Destination NSW on behalf of the NSW Government, is the biggest winter festival for the city with free and ticketed events running for 18 days from 25 May – 11 June.
From families looking for an entertaining night out, to city locals and visitors wanting a new way to explore the city after dark, music lovers or those interested extending their creative minds through discussion and collaboration, Vivid Sydney has something for all to experience.
Highlights of Vivid Sydney 2012 include:
- Lighting the Sails – a visual feast of colour lighting and digital mastery illuminating Sydney Opera House created by multi-award winning German design team URBANSCREEN as part of Vivid LIVE
- Vivid Light – More than 60 interactive and immersive light installations from Walsh Bay, through to The Rocks and Circular Quay, huge 3D digital mapping projections across the city scape including projections on the Museum of Contemporary Art and Customs House, and three never seen before mobile light artworks which will change location each night.
- Vivid Ideas – connecting Australia’s creative thinkers with global leaders and industry talents in over 100 creative industry and public events exploring topics ranging from electronic gaming to fashion, film craft, design and publishing to architecture and photography.
- The new Vivid Ideas program at the Museum of Contemporary Art features key note speakers; Cory Doctorow, author and co-founder of world famous weblog Boing Boing; Chad Dickerson, CEO of Etsy; UK fashion talent, Henry Holland, from House of Holland, Jake Nickell, founder of Threadless and an appearance by VICE founder and CEO Shane Smith.
- Vivid LIVE at Sydney Opera House – featuring over 25 events, including two world premieres and several Sydney exclusive performances by international and local artists including Florence + the Machine, The Temper Trap and Janelle Monae.
- Creative industry conferences including Global Media Ideas by X Media Lab, The Song Summit, Mumbrella 360, CeBIT Australia and SPARC Design.
Vivid Sydney is one of five signature events in the NSW Events Calendar supported by the NSW Government through Destination NSW.
The full Vivid Sydney program is available at http://vividsydney.com