Prost! Oktoberfest kicks off at Löwenbräu Keller and Bavarian Bier Café
What a great time of year, spring is in the air and Oktoberfest is upon us. Here is an overview of key activities taking place at Bavarian Bier Café and Löwenbräu Keller.
Massive steins filled with bier, dirndl clad women and men wearing lederhosen, Würstl, Schweinshaxe and Sauerkraut? Yep, it’s that time of the year again. Oktoberfest is back this September with a loud, hard German thigh-slap. It’s time to release your lederhosen-wearing, pretzel-loving, stein-swigging, yodeling inner Bavarian.
Oktoberfest gives you the chance to join in the world’s biggest festival – an event that first took place in Munich way back in 1810 to celebrate the marriage of Bavarian Crown Prince Ludwig to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen.
With over 6 million visitors every year it’s the world’s largest fair and has been taking place for over 200 years. The best places to celebrate Oktoberfest this year in Sydney are the true home-away-from-Oktoberfest-home venues – Löwenbräu Keller and Bavarian Bier Café.
All the fun has kicked off at each Bavarian Bier Café across Sydney, (including CBD favourites O’Connell and York Street, Moore Park’s Entertainment Quarter, beachside suburbs Manly and Bondi, the north side’s Crows Nest and Chatswood, and Parramatta in the city’s west) and Löwenbräu Keller, in the heart of Sydney’s The Rocks precinct.
Throughout the festival Löwenbräu Keller and Bavarian Bier Café will be the only venues offering all five official Oktoberfestbiers on tap available in Australia – Löwenbräu, Spaten, Hacker-Pschorr, Paulaner and Hofbräu – specially imported from Munich for the occasion, will be served across the venues. There’ll be plenty of steins clinking and a frolicking good time guaranteed!
Special Oktoberfest menus will also be available to hungry Munich style food-lovers, as well as plenty of special events and entertainment sure to see Sydney come alive with Bavarian spirit running high for six fun-filled weeks.
- Bier education and dining sessions, at all Bavarian Bier Café venues – including bier education sessions run by authentic bier meisters teaching bier lovers everything they need to know about Oktoberfestbier.
- Guests are invited to join in the fun of the Miss Oktoberfest crowning event on Thursday 10 October at Löwenbräu Keller – the final three ‘Miss Oktobers’ battle it out to become the official 2013 Miss Oktoberfest.
- Triple M’s Chris North will host an Oktoberfest Trivia Night at Löwenbräu Keller on Wednesday 23 October, guests are invited to join in the fun and win great prizes.
- ‘Bier o’clock’ at each Bavarian Bier Café from 5pm -7pm will see fantastic bier specials, including a new $10 bier cocktail – oom pah pah!
- Oktoberfest ‘Upgrade Sundays’ at each Bavarian Bier Café sees selected 500mL Oktoberfestbiers for the price of 300mL between 3pm and 6pm every Sunday throughout Oktoberfest.
- Try the Über Mega Oktoberfest Sausage Challenge at Löwenbräu Keller – $49 for a 2-metre sausage with chips and salad (over 2 kilos of food!) – complete the challenge in 30 minutes and you eat for free! Available Wednesday – Sunday from 29 September.
For more information about Oktoberfest 2013 visit http://www.oktoberfest.com.au.